Results were even more pronounced in classrooms with teachers who were implementing FactsWise for the second-year. As the yellow portions of the graphs below show, only 16% of the girls and 29% of the boys in the control classrooms demonstrated mastery of basic facts (80% or more memorized or correctly solved using part-whole thinking in 3 seconds or less). In 2nd year FactsWise classrooms, 78% of the girls and 70% of the boys demonstrated mastery.
- Focus on accuracy, fluency, and part-whole thinking (encouraging students to move from counting to part-whole strategies as well as memorization)
- Teach new material in small chunks using a hierarchical order (other than +0, +1, +2, …)
- Teach subtraction facts just after related addition facts
- Ongoing whole-class instruction & practice with immediate feedback (every 24-48 hours)
- Ongoing one-on-one assessment
- Systematic homework to provide reinforcement of individual progress